Monday, May 3, 2010

Homework #52

The most obvious human relationship is with family, and more specifically, one's mother. Everyone on Earth lived inside a woman for about 9 months. In the womb we are all parasites, eating what our mothers eat, breathing their air, and pumping their blood through our fetal bodies. After we are done growing inside the womb, the woman is put through excruciating pain in order to bring us into the world. The relationship between mother and child is expected to be an unconditionally loving one. I want to understand where this specific love comes from. Is it a beautiful, deep connection based in trust, gratitude, and understanding? That would be nice, in a "Little Women" kind of way. However, as cold as it may sound, my mother is the woman who carried me around for two weeks longer than her due date, put up with my kicking, 36 hours of labor, and eventually a C-section to get me out. If anyone else had exploited her body everyday for the better part of a year, only to torture her before leaving, she would hate them, consider them them an enemy, but not me. She kept me, fed me, bathed me (until I could be trusted not to drown myself), why would I fuck that up?

No comments:

Post a Comment